Thursday, December 31, 2009

Being Born

- Carter, you know a new baby's gonna be comin' to our house, don't you?

- Yes'm, I do. I see the baby a'growin in your tummy. And I felt it a'movin'.

- Well, that new baby is gonna be comin' soon.

- Uh huh.

- Carter, let me look in your eyes and you look in mine, okay?

- Okay. Why, Momma.

- Well, Carter, you do know your Daddy and me love you, don't you?

- Yes'm, you tell me every day.

- I want to tell you again. I love you.

- I love you too, Momma. And I love Daddy, too.

- That's what I want to talk to you about, Carter. I want to talk with you about love. Is that okay,

- It's okay, Momma. I like to hear about it.

- Well, love is a wondrous thing. You know your Daddy and I love you. You might think, "There's only one of me so Momma and Daddy can give all their love to me. But when my brother or sister comes then there will be two chil'ren so Momma and Daddy will only be able to give a half of their love to me."

That kind of thinkin' is right thinkin' when you're talkin' 'bout things, like the peaches that come from our trees in June. If I have two peaches and give one away, then I have only one peach left, don't I?

- Yes'm., you do.

- Well, you might think love works the same way as peaches do. But it doesn't. When you give away love, you don't lose part of...you gain more of it! It would be like having two peaches and giving one of them away and having three! Love is like that...the more you give away, the more you have to give away!

No comments:

Post a Comment